This blog contains 1000 posts. Posting (in Blogger) has become unwieldy.
Your blogista has ceased adding new posts. My still-active links are here.

Thursday, November 20, 2003

Day of remembrance

“So when did it really occur to you that you would have to go to such extremes?”

Oh, that’s putting it delicately.

But I forgive you.

It has occurred to me many times.

And, over the decades, I have persuaded myself to ignore the evidence, many, many times.

But then, of an evening in, I think 1999, I saw a last drib of some cable channel’s special, and knew, though I had missed their narration, what it was.

Image after image, all frozen: shot; bludgeoned; chain-whipped, knifed.

Thrown from a balcony.

Run over.

Or, simply, strangled with a twist of pantyhose.

Women’s deaths, but with an extra something: that knife not wielded once, but many times; or two guns emptied into one stillness where once a quiet spirit moved.

So much!

All for a bit of makeup and some lace.

These, then, must be my people.

I wept aloud, standing there before the television, and my family came running, to protect me from they knew not what.

-- risa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails