This blog contains 1000 posts. Posting (in Blogger) has become unwieldy.
Your blogista has ceased adding new posts.
For current activity, friend me on facebook.

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

You want cream in that?

So Love said: "do what you have to do.”

Said, “do you have to?”

Said, “I never thought it was going to be like this.”

Said, “I feel like you’re going to a place I can’t go.”

Said, “I’m losing you, bit by bit.”

Said: “when are we having lunch?”

I asked: so, um, am I weird now?

Love said: “Yes, you are weird.”

Said, “but you were always weird.”

Said, “this is a little weirder.”

Said: “but, honey, lots of things are weird.”

Love said: “will we still be able to make love?”

Said, “does this make me a lesbian now?”

Said, “you shaved your legs?”

Said, “.... your arms too?”

Said: “this is getting a little hard to think about.”

Love said: “You know, if you got some awful disease, like Parkinson’s or something, I’d be -- I’d take care of you. You know?”

Ah. I have the awful disease. Ah. We’re invoking that clause, then. But that’s fair. We said it was a condition. We accepted that there is a course of treatment generally prescribed. We have heard that not to pursue the treatment is sometimes fatal. Love understands all that, but get this: it’s still hard for Love. This treatment kills the beloved, and sends home this other person, sometimes familiar -- still cracking the same stupid jokes -- but alien, permanently so.

What it’s like: leprosy, elephantiasis.

What it’s like: cancer.

Cerebral palsy.

What it’s like.

It’s the burn unit.

It’s watching your child drown.

I reached out to give Love a hug. Love said: “not today, OK?”

Right to the solar plexus, that was.

I sat in the bath, leaning against the cold porcelain, weeping. I looked down, through a blur, at my breasts. They’re not going anywhere.

Love said, “god, don’t treat everything as a tragedy.”

Said: “who would I drink coffee with in the mornings?”

Love said: “So, you want cream in that?”

Beloved with her poppies

-- risa b


Related Posts with Thumbnails