This blog contains 1000 posts. Posting (in Blogger) has become unwieldy.
Your blogista has ceased adding new posts. My still-active links are here.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Baptist minister weighs in


I'd like to call everyone's attention to a remarkable article in USA Today. It's by a Baptist minister, and I think it's very solid. I have been saying all along that the real target of the opposition isn't us, it's Galileo.

:::

Last night, we had Day of Remembrance here at the University. There wasn't much; tabling during the afternoon, with the names and the short biographies on signs, and then the candlelight vigil, with open mike in the auditorium afterwards. I read Bear Bergman's poem again, as I did two years ago, and had the shakes afterwards, as I did then. It's a hard read. Grief courses through your veins when you do that poem, and it takes a while to recover. But this time Beloved, was with me. She'd had a hard day, as I had, or maybe even more than I had, and got lost in the vast Student Union trying to find the event, but she made it, and put an arm around me, and I cried on her shoulder a bit and pulled it together to listen to the other speakers. She brought Last Son and Daughter, and we had a pumpkin pie and ice cream dinner just before the event, which was an energy boost we all needed, especially with the hugs all round.

:::

The Tribe from the City to the North can't make it until Sunday, which is good, as we will need the rest. Stony Run can be Fort Bear for a few days. Tea, song practice, quiet talk by the fire, feeding the chicken, a good book. There has been little opportunity for these things, and we're definitely up for it ...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails