Thursday, May 31, 2007

Measure and cut

Daughter nails it down

The barn leaked a bit more this last winter than ever, so I bought a few rolls of 90 lb. roll roofing, in a light color, for more reflectivity, than last time around.

This was partly an experiment to see how much of my strength I've retained into my old age: answer, not much. Once upon a time I was able to walk up a ladder with one of these things thrown over my shoulder, but no more. Now it's measure and cut, with most of the pieces under 25 feet long, which is plenty hard enough to deal with as it is.

Daughter elected to pitch in, and we got the entire barn done in one evening after work. She suggested we go get a brew afterwards, but I declined, on the grounds that at my age it takes many more "Miller killers" to erase a beer's influence than it does at hers.

The moon rose full,while we were roofing, so afterwards I sat in the front yard with a pair of binoculars, watching the scarred, silvery behemoth climb into a darkening sky. I believe our summer has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stony Run Farm: Life on One Acre