Independence Days Challenge 2009: week 3
1. Plant something - tomatoes, eggplants, broccoli, runner beans bush beans, lettuce. Moved comfrey.
2. Harvest something - Comfrey, rosemary, marjoram, parsley, radishes, peppermint, spearmint, lavendar, elephant garlic, onions, kale, chard, broccoli, leeks, dandelions. Harvested two more egg-eating hens; made yet more stewed chicken and saved all the broth.
3. Preserve something - Froze kale/chard dandelion mix. Froze chicken soup. Drying comfrey.
4. Reduce waste - mulching like mad; mostly grass clippings and bedding straw. Changing out the compost barrel every two weeks (warmer weather).
5. Preparation and Storage - built horizontal awning s of burlap and lath for all the south and west window; put up the summer tarp for the dining room picture window. Bought a pile of slacks on sale; should last the rest of my anticipated years! BARN CLEANED OUT.
6. Build Community Food Systems - Beloved and Son continue volunteering as veggie garden experts at Extension Service. Kudos in the form of starts which they bring home and stuff into the already maxed out garden!
7. Eat the Food - From garden: elephant garlic, onions, kale, maple, chard, broccoli, leeks, dandelions. From frozen: trout, blueberries, blackberries, apples, plum sauce, pear sauce, bok choi, sugar snap peas. From storage: rolled wheat, oats, spelt flour, rye, buckwheat, brewer's yeast, sunflowers, flaxseed. From dried: basil. From poultry: duck eggs, chicken eggs, chicken liver, chicken soup.
Win/loss column: Friendship bread a failure; friend gave it back; gave it to the chickens; they weren't sure what to make of it. Will download recipe and get the hang of this.