Independence Days Challenge 2009: week 2
1. Plant something - tomatoes, FINALLY! And eggplants, squash, cabbages, cukes, basil.
2. Harvest something - Elephant garlic, onions, kale, chard, broccoli, leeks, dandelions. Harvested two egg-eating hens; made stewed chicken and saved all the broth. Caught and froze three trout.
3. Preserve something - Froze kale/broccoli mix. Froze chicken soup.
4. Reduce waste - Still bringing home cardboard, newspapers, bottles, and bubble pack every day, for use in projects. Carrying duck-pond water to the orchard trees for a boost. WEEDING.
5. Preparation and Storage - Taught Daughter revolver basics. checked and updated 9/11 bags and moved the one that had been in the dead station wagon to the living pickup truck. New fire extinguishers. New compost bin walls (recycled futon frame).
6. Build Community Food Systems - Beloved and Son continue volunteering as veggie garden experts at Extension Service.
7. Eat the Food - From storage: rolled wheat, oats, spelt flour, rye, buckwheat, brewer's yeast, sunflowers, flaxseed. From dried: Runner beans; basil. From frozen: trout, blueberries, blackberries, apples, plum sauce, pear sauce, bok choi, sugar snap peas. From poultry: duck eggs, chicken eggs, chicken liver, chicken soup. From garden: elephant garlic, onions, kale, maple, chard, broccoli, leeks, dandelions. We're baking a loaf of Amish Friendship Bread brought by Daughter for Mother's Day, which was also my 60th birthday.
Win/loss column: some chickens discovered the joys of pecking open eggs, taking a sip, and then rolling the eggs over to drain them into the straw. Taking defensive measures. Suffered identity theft. Someone took an $1100 dollar ride on Quantas on our dime; we have to swear out a case number at the Sheriff's office. We have been careful and this is the first time this has happened in all our sixty years. Big win: listening to Beloved practicing her guitar/storytelling program.