This blog contains 1000 posts. Posting (in Blogger) has become unwieldy.
Your blogista has ceased adding new posts. My still-active links are here.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Watching my toes

South wall: comfrey, tomatoes, fig trees (saplings),
onion, strawberries, nasturtiums, eggplant. The sticks are
for beans, which are just now finding them.
The awnings are burlap bags suspended from laths.

As some of you may know, I came down with a nasty infection and was bedridden for a bit while the miracle drugs did their thing. Doctors think there may also be a kidney stone involved. Daughter and Young Man looked in on me with Youngest Son, then a few days later, when I had a relapse, Son spent the night again, showing me one of his favorite anime series, Planetes, on a small TV at the foot of my bed. By then I was getting better, so I rose up and fed him a pancake breakfast and we chatted over coffee for a good two hours. Nice. I sent him away with clean laundry, a bag of fresh peas, and a loaf of bread.

"What's in it?"

"Kale, garlic, oats, whole wheat, spelt, rye; that sort of thing."

"Awesome!"

Hey, it's lovely to have a 25-year-old who says your bread is awesome! He may even think so ...

Where was Beloved all this time, you ask?

Wisconsin.

Family stuff.

She's missed the whole thing, as usual, the gad-about.

Ah, blessed rain. It's not coming down in sheets, like the stuff my eastern friends are contending with (I would read their blogs, but I'm afraid I might get soaked), but just right for cutting my farm work day in half and looking into a few other things for a bit.

I'm resting right now from the mowing, mulching, top dressing, tomato tying, and harvesting that went on before the rains settled in. And, if I admit it, from the illness. I'm able to do these things but at a sedate pace. When I'm flat on my back like this, I grab the laptop and plop it on my belly, to blog or upload or check the latest from Sharon or Greenpa or whomever. If I didn't have a computer, though, I'd get by.

There's umm, reading.

Or just watching my toes wiggle down there at the other end of me.

And out of the corner of my eye, through the window, I see the yearling deer going by, along the fence. Aha, one of them discloses he is not a doe. He has those Bambi bumps above his eyebrows.

So serious looking.

And in the foreground, the eternal chicken races; hen in front, Chanticleer huffing along, gaining steadily from behind. Yeesh, get a room!

:::

'K, a report for Independence Days:

1. Plant something - Walking onions self-planting.

2. Harvest something - Elephant garlic, onions, peas, kale, chard, lettuce, spinach, turnip greens, strawberries, basil, chives. One chicken. Pie cherries. have been tying up tomatoes, laying down mulch, turning compost, setting bean poles and watering, more than harvesting.

3. Preserve something - Froze peas, cherries, chicken, broth.

4. Reduce waste - Making more compost from knotweed and grass clippings, and beanpoles from knotweed.

5. Preparation and Storage - Hung up some dried mint. Bought extra drip hoses and my next straw garden hat -- the one I've used for the last decade is finally beginning to crumble -- sigh.

6. Build Community Food Systems - selling duck eggs; having people over to harvest excess veggies and talking with them about our yard-to-garden method.

7. Eat the Food - From frozen: plum sauce, pear sauce, peas. From poultry: duck eggs, chicken eggs; fresh chicken liver with eggs and chives. From storage: rolled oats, whole wheat flour, spelt flour, rye flour, sunflower seeds, potatoes, home-dried runner beans. From garden: Elephant garlic, onions, kale, chard, dandelions, peas, lettuce, spinach, chard, fava beans, turnip greens, pie cherries, strawberries, mint, basil, rosemary, marjoram, chives, leeks. But mostly peas. As John Seymour used to say, you can never have enough peas.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails