Friday, July 10, 2009

Panning for kale


Some may remember that a few days ago, risa was hanging fava bean vines between the maples out back, and that there was a large dried-out shrub hanging upside down on one of the trees, which she mentioned was kale.

Yes; when you let kale go to seed it becomes practically a small tree, covered with at first a galaxy of small yellow flowers, then a thousand or more Lilliputian "bean" pods. A couple of days later, Beloved mentioned that the kale seemed "done;" that is, some of the pods were sproinging open and dumping out their tiny seeds. That sounded about right to me, so I got out an old sheet and spread it on the ground, then gingerly took down the dry, feather-light kale bush and laid it in the center of the sheet. From the barn, I brought out a square-point shovel, and whaled the kale but good for about three minutes. All the stems broke, and the bush flattened out encouragingly, so I found Beloved, who was weeding around front, and we lifted the sheet between us and poured its contents into a large steel bowl.

I brought the bowl into the house, gathered one handful of pods after another, and "panned" for kale by swirling the pods, crunching them up from time to time with my free hand, in a colander. As seeds fell out of the resulting detritus, and rolled round and round the bottom of the colander, they found the holes and fell into a second steel bowl, leaving behind most of the chaff.

I'm sure I must have thrown quite a lot of seeds onto the compost heap along with the chaff, but that's the way of threshing and winnowing; the object is to get what one needs, not to chase down every minuscule seed.

As it was, we got more than a cup of seed from this one plant! That's scary to contemplate, because a packet with just a very tiny few of them can cost $1.25 to $2.50. There is more kale, in this embryonic state, in this bowl than we could could ever eat in a lifetime ...

I'm leaving the bowl on the counter for a few days, in case there's still too much moisture in the seeds for packing; then they will go into old 35mm film cans. I'm thinking of keeping just enough for us, in a small envelope, and giving the film cans to our local food bank gardens, who gave us some surplus starts this year. After all, turn about is fair play!

4 comments:

  1. I have a thought... send a packet my way (will they wait til next year? Although with our weather we could probably plant any time, couldn't we) and I'll find something to send your way. Any interest in sunshine jam? Although I have to make more.

    Let me know your thoughts.

    -Meadowlark

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'K, will send "PM" as they say on boards ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am growing an heirloom variety of kale this Autumn. I am wondering... if I leave the plant in the ground all winter (it will be under a row cover and is suppose to be hardy to -10F) will it seed next year? Or do I have to do something special with it?

    Exciting to be able to save your seeds! Found your lovely blog through flickr by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most coles will go to flower the second year. Ours was spring planted and we ate it right through the winter and into the next spring.

    The kale makes lovely little yellow blooms by the hundreds, and then afterwards you see these little pods shaped much like bean pods but only an inch long -- thousands, it seems like. No one will recognize it as a kale plant because it's so tall -- like five feet. Even then the leaves it has left are quite tasty.

    Whether fall-planted kale will make seed the next summer, though, I'm not sure, though I don't see why not ...

    ReplyDelete

Stony Run Farm: Life on One Acre