Monday, July 06, 2009
Still mostly peas
July garden: three beds have been cleaned of spring things and are resting up for fall planting. Two of these are slated to go underneath a polytunnel greenhouse. Note corn and winter squash at upper right. Knee high by the Fourth of July!
For Independence Days,
1. Plant something - Not a thing this week!
2. Harvest something - Zukes! ... turnips, turnip greens, favas, potatoes, dandelions, elephant garlic, onions, peas, chard, mustard, lettuce, spinach, strawberries, basil, chives, knotweed. Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb.
3. Preserve something - blanched and froze fava beans. Putting up garlic braids, storing "new potatoes."
4. Reduce waste - Made an awning from recycled burlap coffee sacking.
5. Preparation and Storage - drying fava beans and kale pods for seed. Garlic, potatoes.
6. Build Community Food Systems - selling duck eggs; giving away veggies at work as conversation starters.
7. Eat the Food - From frozen: pear, apple and plum sauce, used to make reconstituted juice. From poultry: duck eggs, chicken soup. From storage: wheat, spelt, oats, rye, pasta, molasses. From garden: turnips, turnip greens, potatoes, zucchini (finally!), favas, elephant garlic, onions, kale, chard, dandelions, peas, lettuce, spinach, chard, strawberries, mint, basil, chives, still mostly peas.