Sunday, August 16, 2009

That ... I ate

Risa spreads apple slices before the sun. Photo by Daughter

The week in review: planted bok choi, turnips, spinach, kale, lettuce.

Harvested tomatoes, cucumbers, apples, plums, kale, blackberries, yellow zucchini, cabbage, eggplant, beets, beet greens, green zucchini, turnips, turnip greens, chard, lettuce, beans, tomatillos, bell peppers, potatoes, onions, garlic, strawberries, chicken eggs, duck eggs, drakes (yes -- sad but true).

Dried tomatoes and beans, made blackberry/plum preserves, strung leather britches (beans), and made apple leathers.

Collected cardboard, newspaper, and bottles, and made compost from flower-bed wastes.

Sold duck eggs, gave away veggies and bread. Toured a really great CSA/diversified farm.

100 foot diet: from frozen: plum sauce, almonds. From the land: Apples, plums, duck and chicken eggs, bok choi, turnips, turnip greens, potatoes, zucchini, elephant garlic, blackberries, cauliflower, onions, green beans, strawberries, mint, basil, chives, onions, cucumbers, cabbage. 100 mile diet: wheat, oats, rye, spelt, craisins. 3000 mile diet: someone brought us overripe bananas. Gave them to the poultry. My son brought me a Moon Pie, something I craved as a child. That ... I ate.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:45 AM

    "My son brought me a Moon Pie, something I craved as a child. That ... I ate. "

    What? No RC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have never seen Royal Crown Cola here. Do they still exist? Brother Dave Gardner would be aghast at how long I have been away from "R-C-Ko-Kola's."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:01 AM

    Yes Royal Crown and Goo Goo's.

    ReplyDelete

Stony Run Farm: Life on One Acre