Friday, March 11, 2011

Watch the dice

Update, August 11: 

Abstract
We report on the first measurements of short-lived gaseous fission products detected outside of Japan following the Fukushima nuclear releases, which occurred after a 9.0 magnitude earthquake and tsunami on March 11, 2011. The measurements were conducted at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), (46°16’47″N, 119°16’53″W) located more than 7000 km from the emission point in Fukushima Japan (37°25’17″N, 141°1’57″E). First detections of (133)Xe were made starting early March 16, only four days following the earthquake. Maximum concentrations of (133)Xe were in excess of 40 Bq/m(3), which is more than ×40,000 the average concentration of this isotope is this part of the United States.
2011. Published by Elsevier Ltd.
View north from the roof
Today, for the first time, it's positively pleasant out with some prospect of getting things done. Risa has mowed, moved grass clippings to the beds, planted out some thirty or so Walla Walla onions, and thrown more old-growth collards to the poultry. Underneath the plastic, in Bed Number Four, she's planted peas.
View south from the roof
Across the creek, where she got the clippings, she has black plastic killing sod for potato patches. Last year's patch, which was a moderate success, shows up as a brownish spot by the back fence.

Sorting garden goodies
Risa likes that the birds are singing, the sun is shining, the grass is growing, and she's out working in her shirt sleeves. But her mind is on the leak at the power plant in Japan. Things are horrible enough for the people there without that.

But if the cooling system goes, things could get moderately horrible even here. We're downwind. It's a reminder that we are one world, and there's nowhere to run and nowhere to hide when Big Corporatism has bet their lives and yours. Surely we will finally realize it's not just about the shareholders?

Got food and water? Ready to stay indoors awhile? Will the crops be contaminated? Watch the dice for the next few days. Pray they don't come up snake eyes.

:::

Update: I've been taken to task by conservative readers for that last paragraph. Noted; the plumes currently reported, while hardly benign, don't have a lot of reach. But it's still true that Big Corporatism along with its handmaiden Big Government has been caught lying about spills, leaks, and explosions so many times that it's simply hard to get hold of good science on risk any more. Too much money at stake.

That said, here is a scientist I trust: Jeff Masters. He points out that seven days over water certainly shakes a lot of poison out of the plume (he doesn't say what that does/does not do to the life in that ocean, though). The iodine isotope has a very short half life. But the cesium doesn't. Not to mention the plutonium in Number Three, which has not yet been secured. I ache for what Japan is going through, which was done by an earthquake, not (or not so much, yet) by Tepco. But I'm also not happy about the current state of energy production and management in my world. If one Big Expensive Idea misses killing us off, several others seem lined up right behind it, itching to have a go.

No one lives forever; I'd be a happier camper if I left thinking about these things to Those Wiser than I. But my examination of the record leaves me with the feeling that Those Wiser Than I do not include Monsanto, Tepco, Archer Daniels Midland, Goldman Sachs, or Freddie and Fannie, or the Koch Brothers.

Smarter, maybe. But much of what they call wisdom is simply theft. Sorry if I don't trust them completely when they say, "Move along. Nothing to see here." I have children.

:::

[update] It is a month later, April 9. I am still not amused, and have begun tapping into my pre-bottled 100 gallons of water. Call some of scaremongers if you like; given our experience of official pronouncements as seen in retrospect, perhaps we are simply prudent.
[update May 19]

Japan’s Fukushima Reactor May Have Leaked Radiation Before Tsunami Struck, Bloomberg by Yuji Okada, Tsuyoshi Inajima and Shunichi Ozasa, May 19, 2011 6:21 am EDT:

[...] Japan’s government in April raised the severity rating of the Fukushima crisis to the highest on an international scale, the same level as the Chernobyl disaster. The station, which has experienced hundreds of aftershocks since March 11, may release more radiation than Chernobyl before the crisis is contained, Tepco officials have said.

    15 comments:

    1. Anonymous10:18 PM

      A meteorologists take on Japanese radiation in PNW: http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2011/03/tsunami.html
      Comments?

      ReplyDelete
    2. All I saw there was about the tsunami pattern?

      Cesium has been detected at one of the shut-in reactors. Some material will have melted, TMI-style. As these are light water reactors, this is not Chernobyl. But it is very, very bad.

      http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110312D12JF423.htm

      ReplyDelete
    3. It's the Jet Stream that is our problem with this in the U.S. and Canada.

      http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display_alt.cgi?a=npac_250

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hopefully some truth to updates here:

      https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=201105606585900&comments

      ReplyDelete
    5. Anonymous3:15 PM

      If you scroll down you will see this statement:
      Regarding radioactive release in Japan, nothing to worry about. Even if there was a MASSIVE release there, it would be utterly diluted by the time it reached us.
      Followed by today's post: Where would the radioactivity go? http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2011/03/where-would-radioactivity-go.html

      The point being that even though radioactivity is not good thing and the jet stream goes from Japan to PNW dilution and distance work in favor of PNW this time. Don't forget to take elevation of weather patterns into consideration.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Anonymous12:56 PM

      But why put out alarmist posts when the danger to PNW is so small?

      There is always a need to valid information, and there may come a time for action without panic. Crying wolf is seldom helpful.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Anonymous1:17 PM

      This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Tepco has been caught in so many lies about safety and events that I'm interested in hearing from an impartial observer. What's frustrating about this event is that impartial observers within the industry and its supporters are simply not available; there's too much (taxpayer-sourced) money at stake. The best discussion I can find for information on the event and its possible or probable risks is at the Oil Drum, and what I'm hearing there has not yet reassured me.

      Remember the culture around these things: BP: "nothing on sea bottom." Independent scientist (who can't get funding and is working practically as a volunteer): "Sea bottom coated; everything dead." Government to independent scientist: "Get out of here." Twenty years after these sorts of things -- Exxon Valdez, Minamata, Love Canal -- one usually, if not practically always finds that, yes, it was worse than the official pronouncements, and often even worse than the alarmists thought.

      I'm fairly moderate; I'm not really crying wolf so much as "Eek! This looks like wolf tracks." And then, time after time, I go out to the paddock and all the sheep have their throats ripped out. Conspiracy theory is beginning, ever so slowly, like Galileo's theory, to seem more and more plausible to me, through experience.

      And I'd be very happy to have the safety and benignity of these massive explosions (the second one right on top of a vat of MOX) proven. Pronouncements from the bureaucracy and the corporate infrastructure have been disseminated. I am not yet reassured.

      I said: "Cesium has been detected at one of the shut-in reactors. Some material will have melted, TMI-style. As these are light water reactors, this is not Chernobyl. But it is very, very bad."

      Some might feel that that was an irresponsible thing to say. Others might feel that siting a MOX reactor on a fault line was irresponsible. Events may prove me alarmist; I don't think the consequences of my being in the wrong is in the same class as the consequences of Tepco's being in the wrong. There would be so much more at stake.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Here is the most even-handed discussion I have seen today, at New Scientist. I like it better than some of the things in the general media over the last two days, which I submit were more alarmist than little me (and may have unduly influenced me). I think I'll go bake some bread now and try to stay out of trouble.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Anonymous11:27 AM

      "I have children"

      Amen, sister.

      ReplyDelete
    11. We'll may have to agree to disagree. I never said that nuclear power was safe, big business was trustworthy or that there was no danger in areas close to the failing Japanese reactors. The issue is whether your suggestion of staying indoors in the PNW was warranted.

      Current weather patterns say no risk on US west coast (http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2011/03/us-west-coast-is-not-at-risk.html).

      We can try to one up each other on kids and grandchildren but I don't think that's worthwhile.

      ReplyDelete
    12. "Ready to stay indoors awhile?" is a question about preparation. It is not yet shown that preparation is noit a good idea here in relation to the ongoing incident. "Cry wolf" is what a certain little boy did in a story about lying. Hence my going a little off my usual equanimity here.

      ReplyDelete
    13. Looks like you have some dry ground, I envy that!

      I've thought about the bloggers I know in your area and it's worrisome. I'm not sure what to think about the comment conversation that follows because of it. I would like to respectfully suggest though, that perhaps the labels of "conservative" and "liberal" no longer apply in such cases anymore. It seems to me that we've come full circle and have folks of both persuasions who would take opposite sides on these types of issues.

      Personally however, I didn't see any alarmism in your original post, just an intelligent awareness of possible consequences and the need to take precautions against them. (And yup, most folks would shove me under the conservative label ;)

      ReplyDelete
    14. Leigh, once upon a time the yeomanry who had farmed grain in England for thousands of years were the conservatives and then along came the gentry with the "innovation" of enclosure for export wool. This is for me the only explanation of modern "conservatism" that I can get a grip on -- why nuclear engineering is touted in some circles as "science" and climate studies dismissed in the same circles as "myth." It's not conservatism at all, it's just theft of the commons.

      Me, I just want to conserve the ability of the soil out there to support me and mine. So you and I, I should think, have more in "common" than not, neh? ;)

      ReplyDelete

    Stony Run Farm: Life on One Acre