Friday, March 25, 2011

What a landowner's gotta do

As we have no idea what the next batch of neighbors will be like along our west side, which is across the creek from our house (shown on the right), it seemed the right time to put up a pasture fence. For our purposes it should be dog-proof, sheep-proof, small-goat-proof, duck-proof, and chicken-proof. Risa would love for it to be deer-proof too, but such a fence might seem a bit tall and overbearing to a neighbor whose property line is eight feet from the house, so we went with 48" 2X4 welded wire on lightweight six foot t-posts, with a lattice-top wooden gate by the barn, in case we ever get neighbors who'd enjoy milking goats for us while we gad about in foreign parts.

Such a fence can be built reasonably well without getting too technical about it.

Risa bought twenty-five posts and seven fifty-foot rolls of fence, and distributed them from the back of the pickup truck. She ran string the length of the project from end post to end post, and hammered in a post every fourteen feet along the string, using one of our most appreciated hand tools, a hand-held post driver.

Each roll was spread out along the posts, attached to the preceding roll, and then stre-e-e-e-tched by the simple expedient of a piece of pipe threaded through the mesh and then pulled along the posts with a come-along attached to the next post from the end,at its bottom. Risa's not really strong enough for the clips that you hook the fence onto the post by, so she just uses twisted wire instead, cut from a roll of 18 gauge wire with a pair of side-cutting pliers. Tighten like putting a twisty on a bread bag, with the pliers. Draws the whole fence tight.

At the fence ends, Risa jammed an eight-foot post into the ground, leaned it against the end post four feet above the ground, creating a right triangle. wiring this to the end post and to the fence in three places creates a reasonable strong anchor. To make this into a permanent fence support, she can attach a vertical tube, two feet in diameter, of welded wire and fill it with rocks. Never has got around to that, though. Some of these quick-and-dirty fence projects of hers are still standing after more than thirty years.

This does not result in the world's strongest fence nor the world's prettiest fence, but it does enclose the commons. Sometimes a landowner's gotta do what a landowner's gotta do.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:43 PM

    How does one go about making a purchase of the Good Old Stuff! from the Farm Store? No email, nor contact info that I can find.

    T. Freeman
    Jackson, WY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been meaning to make a graphic of this:
    risasb [atsign] gmail.com
    but hadn't got around to it.

    What's your pleasure?

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the house next door for sale, I'd be putting up a fence too. I could appreciate all your work because we've done quite a bit of fencing over the past year ourselves. But don't you have a fence tool? [Photo here]. I confess I still used plier to wrestle the clips into place, but still managed to get the wire clipped to the t-posts. (Nothing fancy, just serviceable.)

    Also need to mention that I love all the shelves in your kitchen. And hooks for pots and baskets. I'm a big fan of shelves and hooks myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My big blunt-nosed side cutting pliers were my dad's and he did things at the top of telephone poles with them. I like how they mow through a section of welded wire like I'm piecing out a dress pattern.

    I've had fence pliers and may have them again, but there is something about those clips that's just awkward for me. I was all right with them thirty years ago, but ... I dunno, it's like alzheiemers of the th' fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:05 PM

    How about some pictures, especially of the end post anchors? I need a pretty picture tutorial so's I can get to building my own fences. Lonni

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I deliberately left them out because the whole homesteading world (such as still stop here) would realize what a skimp I am and never take me seriously again. When th'rain lets up, I may email you something. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually the clips are the easy part, we just use a screw driver or a 16D nail and make our kid do that part behind us. You hook the clip on left side on the post and bring the right side of the clip to the front, insert the screwdriver, and twist the clip around the fencing wire. Admittedly I like the screw driver the best because of the leverage the handle provides compared to the nail, but a nail will work in a pinch.

    I spend so much time writing about electric fencing I never think of posting about permanent fencing. Your fence looks great BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear ya. Back around '75-'85 I did just that. Maybe thousands of clips. And then, maybe because I got into a batch of short clips that drove me nuts on some heavier t-posts, I just went into twisted wire. Twisted wire has for me the advantage that it can be used over and over, as the fence lines are adjusted. The kid idea is great, if I can get one to visit long enough to do it! ;)

    Today the ducks are trying out the new pasture for the first time!

    ReplyDelete

Stony Run Farm: Life on One Acre