Monday, December 05, 2011

Extra low cost seed starting kit

So, here's an idea I had, don't know if it works.


Tear the lid off an egg carton. As you use eggs, just tear off one end of the shell (the ones shown here are from our ducks) and place it in the carton after the contents have been dumped in the pan or whatever. When the carton is full, take it out to the potting bench.


Add potting medium and seeds.


Water eggs. Place carton in greenhouse, cold frame, whatever makes you happy.


I would not overwater these, as they don't drain, though it would be easy enough to fix that, for example with a dremel. The plan here is to get some seedlings up (these are Forellenschluss lettuce) and then transplant. The method will be to crack the egg as I'm about to put it in the hole, pot, whatever. What say ye?


lettuce in winter

The potting room was a miserable dank
shed, trash-chocked, roofed in plastic, blackberries
ingrown amid bedlam. she dragged it all into
the light, sifting for tools or nails, then
consigning the rest to dump runs. With one son,
the quiet one, she roofed the room with scraps,
tucking, there, or here, oddly-sized old windows.
To the south, a sliding door turned on its side
served for greenhouse glass. A friend's offer
of a chimney to salvage solved the question of how
to floor. With her other son, the tall one, she
rented a long-legged ladder for picking bricks
from the air, frightened at every ragged breath.
They piled them by the plant-room door, and the girl,
last child, brimful of jokes and laughter, brought
bricks to her from the pile, which she set face up
in a herringbone pattern. They swept sand and mortar
into the cracks, and danced in the sunbeans then.
Now for a bench, new-painted green for the color
of wishing, and pots of all sizes, flats too,
with a tall can for watering. She hankered for lettuce
in winter, and sowed the flats in October. After
a month, wild geese and their musical throats gone south,
she noted her seedlings spindly and sad, so taking
her hammer and two-by sixes, built a quick coldframe
with the other half of the always helpful sliding
door. By the sunny south wall in the duck pen she framed it,
and dibbled the seedlings within. They liked that,
but a darkness comes on in December; after a full
day, full week, one comes home exhausted, to eat,

to sleep, not to water gardens. One thing
only has saved the lettuce: the ducks do not like
coming in for the night. She goes into the dark

to disturb them; they rush about complaining;
the madwoman hops and chuckles. She locks them away
from coyotes, and turns, as in afterthought, to visit

her seedlings. By feel she gives them water, her hands
stretching toward summer in the unseen leaves.
From Collected Poems 

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:58 PM

    I say I am going to try this! But later, later ... a few pinholes in the bottom takes care of the drainage problem, no? Lon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna see if they work just the way they are. Water lightly enough and no damping-off, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea. I think that it should work -- plus adding calcium to the soil, is usually a good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they get added to the soil anyway, 'round here. Elsewhere it was mentioned that the membrane is health food to a dog, but we are dogless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:03 PM

    A friend of mine dream.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbyIlbt5_3g

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know Warshall? Wow. He was involved in Coevolution/Whole Earth Review (or maybe they were involved in him); I subscribed to the entire run of issues and knew about the Bioneers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:31 AM

    Do you want his phone number?

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. No need ... I'm just wowed is all. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:00 AM

    Lovely poem. Practical or un, your eggshell idea is charming. Seeds are determined, though; it sounds workable to me, if they're transplanted early on. Therein is always the pitfall, for me ... I'll get to it, eventually, is my constant (growled) refrain. Seedlings don't like that so much, no matter what kind of pot they're planted in ...
    NM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the word picture in the poem. Ducks must be a hoot. I've heard of planting seeds in egg shells, but have never tried it. Sounds like a very good idea to try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. TYVM to you both, and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2:15 PM

    If you can get them outside in fairly short order, it ought to work. I like to get my seedlings quite big before I transplant and have found that too small of a pot is a problem. I use newspaper pots and set them on trays of vermiculite - keeps them from drying out (water the vermiculite, also helps with damping off if you water from below) and they will sometimes push roots down through the newspaper, so this way the roots have somewhere to go. I usually transplant the whole thing, sometimes I rip the paper off if it is stiff.

    I love my potmaker doodad. :) Lets me start as many things as I like!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, AJC, yes, that is a good system. I have always used the 3" pots that accumulate from plant-buying binges, with good results. What i was thinking was: "what if I nothing? Where do I start?" -- and this was the first experiment I thought of to try.

    The destination of these is supposed to be another experiment: take a baling twine, put a stick through a knot at the end, slide an inverted sawed-off 2-liter bottle down the string, add potting soil, add the little seedling, and repeat. Something this: http://www.ted.com/talks/britta_riley_a_garden_in_my_apartment.html but less fancy. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  14. "What if I HAVE nothing?" darned fingers.

    ReplyDelete

Stony Run Farm: Life on One Acre